Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Feliz Día del Niño




This past Sunday (June 1st) was the official Day of the Children here in Ecuador. At school, we celebrated last Friday. It was like the Halloween Fair, Field Day, and May Day all combined Ecuador style. It made me wish even more than I already do (which is a lot) that I was still a Foote School student.

I arrived to the kids sweeping the soccer/basketball/volleyball cement field. In their grey sweat suits (the Friday gym uniform) they kind of looked to me like prisoners. Anyway, after the field was clean the games started. I thought they had class in the morning and then fun stuff in the afternoon, but the teachers told me they would never pay attention on a day like Día del Niño, so they just didn't bother having class at all.
Looking like prisoners.


The day included:

1. Fútbol

2. Sack race

3. Spoon and marble race thing

4. Tomato dance

5. Dance performances (with costumes!)



6. The ice cream man coming (also like Foote, creepy old man ice cream guy)

7. Balloon popping hugging game

8. Cake!

One of the teachers asked if there was a day of the children in the US and when I told her know she was very surprised. I said it seemed like a good idea and something that my childhood was lacking, but I suppose that halloween pretty much makes up for that.

Señorita Sisa and her daughter. She teaches the younger kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment