Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Los Perros de Cochabamba

If you're reading this blog I assume you know me (if not, that is weird but I am flattered) and if you know me, you know that dogs are an essential part of my life. One of my favorite baby pictures is of me lying on the floor (classic) and snuggling with Lucy, my first dog. Nothing has changed since. I was, am, and will always be a dog lover.

However, in Bolivia the situation with dogs is different. Sadly, there are many stray dogs here in Cochabamba and despite government campaigns to vaccinate them, many have rabies or other diseases and they aren't afraid to bite you if they feel like it. We were warned in orientation that the safest thing for us to do is to stay away from dogs. Also, many dogs that do belong to people are less pets and more guard dogs. As I walk to the bus every day there are dogs lying outside of the front gates of houses ready to start barking if you go near them or their house. Sometimes, they will go so far as to chase you away.

I would really like to avoid getting rabies while I'm here (or ever, really) so I have been taking the advice to steer clear to heart. It is kind of sad and super disconcerting though to be afraid of dogs. I'm not accustomed to crossing the street when I see a dog and it makes me sad. But I am adjusting. Oh, also, people think I'm really weird when I am constantly taking pictures of random dogs on the streets. Oh well. I already stick out enough, why not just embrace it?

Plus, thank goodness, my host family has two dogs. There names are Lucas and Curtis. They live in the garden at my house but sleep in a room off the kitchen in dog beds. My host family was shocked when I told them that my dogs at home sleep in my mom's bed, but then again Lucas has no teeth so they cook rice and chicken for him every day. I guess being a crazy person when it comes to your dogs is culturally universal.




Kind of a weird looking version of Jake, amiright?



My two favorite dogs in Bolivia: Lucas and Curtis. Not sure which is which, but oh well. 

2 comments:

  1. OMG. I think this could be a photo book--all the dogs you took pictures of. I love it. Brimley appreciated it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dog was a super weird version of Jake! Also I like your photos.

    ReplyDelete