Thursday, February 6, 2014

Observations

In a lot of ways Cochabamba is a lot like any other city in the US. There a billboards, banks, lots of noise, tons of people, and a fair amount of energy. However, Bolivia is also a super distinct place and I've started to compile a list of things I've noticed. I add something to it every day, but I thought I'd share what I've observed/learned so far.

1. They don't flush toilet paper down the toilet here. Instead you have to throw it away in the trash can. Yes, I have had to fish my dirty toilet paper out of the toilet a few times. No Shame.

2. Traffic laws are more like suggestions here. As my host sister told me, the police are never around so nobody really cares if you run a red light or hit a pedestrian. Oh yeah, I don't think anybody here has ever heard of pedestrians having the right of way. That is an important lesson we learned right from the beginning.

3. There are dogs everywhere. Stray dogs, guard dogs, pet dogs. Every variety you could imagine. They are constantly barking, its just like home. But unlike home, some have rabies. Yikes.

4. The buses don't have stops, they have routes. That means you can flag down a bus wherever you want on its route and get off wherever you want. Seems like a pretty good system to me. Also it means instead of waiting for a bus you can just walk along the route which I really like.

5. While there are some "supermercados" here mostly people buy their food in big markets or at small food stands on the side of the road. When I'm driving with my family sometimes my host mom will see fruit that looks good or remember she needs bread and we'll just stop on the side of the road.

6. When you say "gracias" they often respond "por que?" which means "why?" They also hardly ever use Ud. here and instead use the more informal "tu" (you) to talk directing to people. I've been told it is related to a culture that is all about personal relationships and connecting with others.

7. When young people are dating they go to the plazas to "hang out" most likely because young people here live with their families basically until they get married and not many young people have cars so couples don't have anywhere else to go. Lots of PDA.

8. As my host dad told me the custom here is to "eat breakfast like a prince, lunch like a king, and dinner like a peasant." Most people go home for a huge lunch in the middle of the day and it is thought that eating a lot at night will make it hard for you to sleep. My host dad is very sweet and constantly making sure I am well fed which often means stuffed at lunch. At dinner we have tea and fruit and sometimes leftovers or a piece of bread. It is an adjustment for sure, but I am kind of starting to like this system.

9. Everything here all the time is "todo tranquilo." Going along with the idea of Bolivian Standard Time, people here are all about relaxing, taking their time, and not worrying. Apparently until recently they didn't even have a work for stress. It is very different than what I am used to, but I am doing my best to get used to it. Maybe by the time I get home I won't have a word for stress either...Doubtful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment