Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Bienvenidos a Agualongo (otra vez)

Being back in Ecuador, back in Agualongo, has been overwhelming. It has only been a few days but I have already had many ups and downs. There have been moments where I'm just like why am I here? Why did I decide it was a good idea to live in a rural village all summer? But there are other moments when I feel really good about my decision and pretty badass for being here, living in a village by myself, and just being more or less totally independent.

When I arrived in Quito I took a taxi to Otavalo (I think I got quite ripped off but I was too tired to argue with the taxi driver) and went to Huana's (The Tandana Foundation's coordinator's) apartment in Otavalo. I spent the night there with her and her husband, Kai. They were both extremely nice and welcoming. We went down to the town square and got plastic bags full of meat for dinner and Huana gave me a little introduction to Tandana and what I will be doing this summer. I also slept a lot, I didn't realize how burnt out I was from leaving Bolivia and my semester ending.

The next day we visited the office (which has wifi), I learned a little about the bus system, we went to lunch and the grocery store and then I got dropped off with my host family. It is pretty cool to be back at with the same family. When I was here almost four years ago they had a new baby (who is now a toddler) and the son was a super super shy two year old. Now the kids are really outgoing and so excited that I am back which is really nice. The first night I was there we played soccer, hide and seek, catch, volleyball, and then my host siblings and their two cousins who live next door all came into my room and drew all over my journal. It felt very welcoming and comfortable to have everybody piled on my bed, excited to hang out with me.

There are also four very small puppies at my house who are a month and 15 days old. My host sister, Nayeli, plays with them which by my standards is  more like torturing them. She carries them around by one arm and sometimes puts one of their whole heads in her mouth. It is strange but cute I guess. My host mom is still the same super sweet lady she was four years ago and seems excited to have me back. They killed a chicken for the soup my first dinner with the family.

I was pretty overwhelmed and felt kind of isolated my first few days here. However, things are only getting easier with time as I become more accustomed to village life, the cold, and being independent (I miss my Carpe Diem group so much!) Anyway, so far so good. It is super pretty here and I feel pretty lucky to have such a unique opportunity, even if it is really hard at some points. 

1 comment:

  1. Puppy pictures please. The end of July will be here before you know it. And I'm sure you'll have the same mixed feelings about leaving Ecuador by then too. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete