Monday, July 14, 2014

¡Feliz cumpleaños, Patricio!

Last Sunday July 6th my host dad turned 36 or 38 (he changed his answer several times and I don’t think he was trying to seem younger, I think he just actually doesn’t remember) We ended up celebrating on Tuesday night because we had a confirmation party to go to on Sunday and then I had to go to a birthday dinner for Tyler, another intern, on Monday night.



I had asked earlier what their birthday traditions were and they told me that when they have enough money they buy a cake and when they don’t they just don’t do anything. I decided to take in upon myself to buy a cake and give my host dad a gift to make this year a little bit special.


Tuesday morning I took my six year old host brother who is on summer break shopping with me in Otavalo. He picked out a cake with a red car on it. That night my host mom made a candle out of a wrapped up piece of paper and told me I had to sing. At first I thought maybe she meant I had to sing by myself but luckily Zahid and her both joined in. There was a lot of laughing when the paper candle wouldn’t stay lit long enough for him to blow it out and make a wish. It was a nice evening and a nice way to celebrate. Simple but fun. We also got to eat cake for the next four meals which I wouldn’t say was ideal because the cake here is not the best, but my host siblings thought that was pretty darn cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment