Monday, July 14, 2014

My Ecuadorean Fourth of July


The whole school looking patriotic.

I have never thought of myself as a particularly patriotic person. In fact, I normally  don’t do anything special for Fourth of July and I haven’t said the Pledge of Allegiance since maybe 7th grade; however, when I found out that my last day of teaching in Larcacunga was going to be on the fourth I suddenly felt a lot of pride for the good old US of A and decided that it would be very educational but mostly just fun to have an independence day party in my last English class.

I asked my Señoritas if it would be okay for me to do it and they were enthusiastic. They told me that since I was here in Ecuador for such an important holiday and I would otherwise be celebrating by myself that having the kids celebrate with me was a good idea. When I checked in with them about it that week though Sisa asked me to include the younger kids class. I thought, “sure, why not? That’s only 18 more kids, no big deal.” Then they thought about it more and decided that it should be on Thursday instead of on Friday. “Sure” I thought “one day ahead of time, no big deal.” Then that Tuesday they told me that they had left the two hours after recess free and were excited for my program. Yikes. So basically, what had started as a half hour USA craft with my English class turned into a two hour program for the whole school.
Getting decked out in USA pride.

Luckily, the two new summer school interns, Maggie and Jenny, had arrived and didn’t have much to do. I enlisted their, plus Tyler and Hauna’s help, and we suddenly had an awesome five person USA crew.  When they all pulled up in the taxi I think my students were a little surprised. Surprised both that that many gringos exist in their neck of the woods slash surprised that I actually had friends.
Ecuadorean world cup cups for prizes. Doesn't really make sense.
Cookie decorating

We decided to do stations: patriotic fruit, USA headband making plus face paint, water pong (some thought inappropriate, I thought fun slash funny), and cookie decorating. After stations we did a waterballoon toss which got out of control and took a festive group picture. I was pretty nervous about whether or not they would have fun or if the day would be a huge disaster, but it all worked out and I think the students enjoyed it. They also are more knowledgeable about US drinking games and my English class got to practice their skills with new English speakers.
Patriotic fruit.

Water balloon toss.

The next day (actual fourth of july) was my last day of teaching. Although not as exciting a day as the program the day before, it was still a nice way to end. I did chalk drawings with my art class and musical chairs English addition for some final English class practice. I hope that my students took something away from what I attempted to teach them. I feel so lucky to have gotten to teach with Lucila and Sisa. They face challenges in teaching that are so incredibly different from the ones I have faced teaching in the US. Also, those kids face completely different challenges. It is hard to see them and know that I will probably never know what they’ll do in the future. They have incredibly limited opportunities and resources, but at the same time they are independent, innovative, and (I hope) fairly motivated. I learned a lot spending every day at that school up on the mountainside, but I have to say the best part about leaving is not having to do that 40 minute walk uphill every morning anymore.
The señoritas and me

No comments:

Post a Comment